I am not one to share feelings on my blog because I have difficulty articulating my feelings, but I feel like sharing this.Last night, just after finding out that Barack Obama would be our next president, I was driving to the store on a milk run. I had a few minutes alone to think about what this meant for my country and more specifically my family. I had always felt that my children could be anything thing they wanted to be. But at that moment I realized that it wasn't really true. I guess growing up in a household that was so open and accepting of other races made me a little naive about how others may think. But at that moment, as I pondered how significant it is for us to have our first African American president, I realized all things really weren't a possibility for my black children... until now. I felt such an overwhelming sense of gratitude for all those who have come before us and fought so hard and so long, for those who have lost their lives, and those who have dedicated their lives to make "all men equal" in America. It is a happy day and a proud day for ALL Americans.
-Kari
4 comments:
THANK YOU for sharing this, Kari. It is so nice to hear the feelings of your heart. I was so proud to be an American last night. It is a new wonderful era, and I hope we all we reap the benefits of a new vision. Kirk and I send our love to you and your family! We miss you!
I loved reading this. Beautiful.
I agree that it is wonderful that anyone can become anything they want to be in our country. It does certainly make me proud that our country was able to get beyond race. It's too bad I don't happen to agree with his politics but I guess we'll see how it goes. Hopefully better than it is now.
I agree!!!! YES WE CAN!
Post a Comment